November 11, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Crittenton Services for Children and Families
Martha Jasso, Director of Communications
Fullerton, Calif – November is National Adoption Month which serves as a collective national effort to raise awareness of the more than 100,000 children and youth in the U.S. foster care system waiting to find permanent, loving families. This year the National Adoption Day Coalition expects 4,500 children in foster care to be adopted on National Adoption Day, on November 23, 2013.
Crittenton Services for Children and Families (CSCF) is taking this moment to encourage all those is the community who have been thinking about either being a foster parent or formally adopting to reach out to your local foster care and adoption agencies for more information on how to get started on the process.
CSCF is a licensed foster care and adoption agency (Lic # 306099612 & #336424300) that always looks forward to hearing from good-hearted people interested in expanding their families.
By considering fostering or adoption you are helping to create stronger families and a hopeful tomorrow for children and youth in need.
For those that would like to help CSCF youth in need of a safe, stable and nurturing home we are eternally grateful and honored that you are choosing us to partner with.
If interested in becoming a foster parent or in the adoption process please contact the CSCF Foster Care and Adoption program:
- Direct Line: 714.680.8200
- Email: FOSTERCARE@crittentonsocal.org
Foster Care Adoption Facts & Figures:
Who are these children?
- There are an estimated 399,546 children in foster care in the United States, and more than 100,000 of them are waiting to be adopted.
- Through no fault of their own, these children enter foster care as a result of abuse, neglect and/or abandonment.
- 9 percent spend 5 years or more waiting for a family (34,388).
What happens to them?
- 52,039 children are adopted from foster care.
- More than 23,000 children reach the age of 18 without ever finding a forever family.
Who adopts from foster care?
- Children in foster care are adopted by three types of families: former foster parents (56 percent), relatives (30 percent) and non-relatives (14 percent).
- Individuals who adopt children from foster care include: married couples (68 percent), single females (27 percent), single men (3 percent), unmarried couples (2 percent).
- A national survey in 2013 revealed that 47 million Americans have considered adoption from foster care – more so than any other form of adoption, including private adoption of an infant or international adoption. (National Foster Care Adoption Attitudes Survey, June 2013. Commissioned by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and conducted by Harris Interactive.)
Crittenton Services for Children and Families of Southern California (CSCF) is a non-profit social services agency whose mission is to heal the wounds of abuse and neglect; strengthen families; and help troubled adolescents reach their full potential. Established and incorporated in 1966 Crittenton has a highly trained workforce operating 24 hours a day / 7 days a week providing comprehensive counseling, medical, and other support services to the clients in our care. We provide a full array of residential, in-home, community based, wraparound, mental health, foster care, and adoption services with a service planning area throughout Southern California that covers Orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside and San Diego Counties.
Topics: Non-Profit, Social Services, Youth Services, Foster Care and Adoption Services, Crittenton Services for Children and Families Foster Care and Adoption Program
Geography: Los Angeles County, Calif., Orange County, Calif., Fullerton, Calif., Riverside County, Calif.